The zucchini- forward twist can make Pizza night to look tastier and healthier. A vegetable loaded version is really good for you if you want to prepare a pizza without a dough crust.
Roasted Pizza Zucchini Boats ingredients –
- 6 small zucchinis (~8-9 inches long)
- 1.25 cups pizza sauce
- 1.5 cups shredded mozzarella
- ⅓ cup mini pepperoni slices
- ⅓ cup green pepper, chopped into small pieces
- ⅓ cup mushrooms, chopped into small pieces
- ⅓ cup red bell pepper, chopped into small pieces
Each serving –
- 1 small zucchini (~8-9 inches long)
- 3 T pizza sauce
- ¼ cup mozzarella
- 12 slices mini pepperoni
- 1 T green pepper, chopped into small pieces
- 1 T mushrooms, chopped into small pieces
- 1 T red pepper, chopped into small pieces
Optional garnishes: Italian seasoning, crushed red pepper, grated Parmesan, etc.
Steps to follow –
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
- Prepare the zucchinis by slicing them in half, lengthwise, and hollowing out the seeds with a small spoon or tool to build a “boat” to hold the toppings. Don’t scoop out too much or the boats will sink, LOL. Arrange the zucchinis on a parchment or foil-lined baking sheet or in a large casserole dish.
- Spoon pizza sauce into each boat, filling about ¾ full. The amount of sauce is going to vary a little, depending on the size of your zucchinis.
- With your desired toppings like- mini pepperoni, green pepper, red pepper, mushrooms and cheese etc.) you can top your zucchini.
- Keep it for 12 minutes to bake, then boil for 3-5 minutes at the end.
- On top of your pizza sprinkle whatever you like to garnish.
Choose zucchinis of the same size. If you are using a larger one, then you have to adjust the cooking time, toppings, and serving sizes appropriately.
You can garnish your favorite pizza toppings to customize this recipe
The chopped vegetables should be cut into quite small pieces, to ensure everything cooks evenly.